Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What I've Learned

What I learned from my first...

Easy babies are just that...easy! Of course no baby is entirely easy and when you have an easy baby you often don't know it. I thought Wyatt was an average baby, but Addie put him way into the easy category!

If "Babywise" worked for you it really means you are none the wiser...it just means you had an easy baby that cooperated, but you thought your parenting was really what did the trick! This statement characterized my confidence after Wyatt's infancy...boy did I need humbling! I should've expected a colicky baby next:)

Boys come out of the womb making truck noises and also many other unwanted boylike tendancies of roughness.


What I learned from my second...

Fusssy babies are just that...fussy! Their only predictability is that they always scream! Addie was our first glimpse into this kind of baby!

"Babywise" means nothing when your child screams all day and night even when you followed the instructions the same way you did with your other children:) I actually do like the book "Babywise" for many reasons, so please sense some of my sarcasm!

Babies will learn to sleep, even through the night, inspite of all our fears they won't and ploys to get them to before they are ready!

Girls with big brothers often are tougher than their older brothers!

What I anticipate for the third...

My chances are just as high for a fussy baby as they are for an easy one...regardless, I am preparing for fussy!

At some point in the first year, my baby will sleep through the night. It probably won't be at eight weeks even though I'll try for that, so I am expecting more like eight months!

I will likely freak out that my child still isn't sleeping through the night at six months, but it will hopefully be a more mild freak out than I've had in the past:)

Sidenote...if you like "Babywise" take no offense...I like it for much of their advice and hope you see the humor here is more about me and my children than anything found in the book:)

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I agree, Heather, and echo all your lessons. You just get what you get is how I always put it. Unfortunately its exhausting in process!

california grandma said...

Experience often is the best teacher. All the information in the world can't compare to what you learn by actually experiencing life first hand. Heather your a great Mom and with God's help (for those times you think your losing it) you can do anything!