Thursday, March 13, 2008

Long Walks and the Bake Off


Waiting for some sunshine!





For Jack, Jeb, and Will. A St. Louis vehicle to remember!


Still no baby. I am anxiously awaiting this baby's arrival. I just feel like it is time. Memaw arrives next Thursday which will really be the best plan for the kids to be cared for, but I am so ready to meet this little one and be home again. I will admit I am looking forward to my two day hospital stay too!

We've had beautiful weather this week. Hard to believe that we had ten inches of snow a week ago! Pictures above! I even took the kids to the zoo yesterday by myself. We parked in timbuckto because everyone was at the zoo. I even managed to take the kids to see the giraffes which are one of our all time favorites. If you have been to the St. Louis Zoo you will understand why this was such a great task. The giraffes are at the top of this rather low grade but very long hill. I pushed both kids up the hill very pregnant and definitely hoping that I'd experience some sort of payoff in the end. Not exactly unless you count very tired and out of breath a payoff.

I also baked a chocolate pie yesterday for David. I should qualify, chocolate silk pie, which I've never tasted until yesterday. I have a great chocolate pie recipe that involves more of a mouse base that you don't cook. It is full of whipping cream and truly divine, but David is always asking me to make chocolate silk pie like he ate with his grandma from Marie Calendar's Restaurant. I didn't even know the difference so I used to just make the one I liked and figured when we live near Marie, he could go visit her for a slice of pie. So being inspired to overdue myself into labor I looked up several chocolate silk pie recipes and landed on this one. It was distinctly different than my other chocolate pie and quite delicious like David promised it would be! It is now a favorite in the Juelfs' house. Wyatt had a blast baking and eating it!

Today, after little in the way of contractions, I went to the Y to workout and we've managed to do little else. We made a quick stop at the grocery store for our corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, to which I am in much debate over saving for St. Patrick's Day. I want it then, but I don't want to miss out if we are having a baby. I am contemplating Sunday night dinner and leftovers Monday. Anyway, enough babbling. Below is the recipe for the chocolate silk pie.


Chocolate Silk Pie

1 unbaked single pie crust (I must say homeade is the way to go!)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1stick) butter
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 eggs
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large, microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter at 50% power for 2 minutes until butter is melted; stir until smooth, Whisk in salt, sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, evaporated milk and vanilla extract, whisk until well blended. Pour chocolate mixture into crust.

Bake 30 minutes or until filling has puffed, but center still wiggles. Cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Garnish with shipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.

Notes: Try baking pie shell 8 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven before filling shell.

No comments: