Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Blankie Bondage

It is true...we are in bondage to blankets in the Juelfs home. If you have met Wyatt, you have met Stripey! If you have met Addie Grace, you have most likely met Pinkerton. If you have met Lila, you have probably thought, "God, help her...don't let her parents give her a blanket!" Well, sorry we did. Pinkerton II. That's right, it is Pinkerton the second. How exactly does one end up in bondage to a blanket?

Kid 1 Strategy - buy a lot of the same textured blanket with different prints...curse a lot when kid 1 picks a favorite print...stripes! Search America for another, but it's too late! Enter ... bondage to launder this damn blanket and have it dry by nap!

Kid 2 Strategy - buy two of the same blanket! Check...we got that one right! Don't let kid 2 carry blanket around the house. Mom turns sucker when kid 2 turns whiny! Who wouldn't? More bondage!

Kid 3 Strategy - think about not letting kid 3 have a blanket, but cave before experts even say it is safe to have blankets in the crib. Think about buying a second blanket for kid 3 as to avoid the problem with kid 1 and loathe my laziness for not picking one up! Add blanket to my list for target purchases when mom leaves kid 3's blanket at friend's house 30 minutes away! Loathe mom laziness once again on hour adventure to retrieve blanket that I am once again in bondage to!

And here is where the story turns south (as if it hasn't yet)! I finally went to Target today in search of Lila's Pinkerton II, literally as this will be her second blanket so I don't have to endure laundry drama. As we near the baby section I started thinking...it sure would suck if I can't get this exact texture and pattern. Naturally, you should expect more to this story. So, i found the same texture but not the same pattern. I also thought it was pricey for a backup blanket and there was a slightly different fleece texture on a cheaper blanket, so I decided to save a penny and go the cheaper route. Tonight, I laid Lila down with the new blanket and she fussed off and on for an hour. Thank goodness that was long enough for me to get the real Pinkerton II washed. I switched it out and she literally breathed a sigh of relief when I put her down with the old blanket. So, now I am going to have to go back to kid 1 strategy even though it failed and buy two blankets with the same texture and different patters. Let's hope she is less picky than Mr. Particular Wyatt James Juelfs!

Good Riddens! You think I would learn after the third child, but they are all such great sleepers that I think it is worth any amount of bondage I must endure for a blanket!

No comments: